Founded in 1420 during the eighteenth year of the reign of emperor Yongle (1403-1424) of the Ming dynasty (1368-1644), it measures 3800 m in length for a width of 52 m. It was built for security purposes, with both banks arranged so as to make it impossible to cross it without filling it. The water flows from the northwest to the southeast. It is from these waters that the river of golden waters, the artificial river that crosses the Forbidden City, is drawn. An emperor had there installed valves to regulate their quantities.
When the palace was built in 1407, the land that was removed from the moat was transported to the north of the palace and added height to the "coal hill", the famous hill protecting the Forbidden City from evil spirits (And incidentally, northern weather)
Back to the list of the pavilions of the forbidden city