Palace of compassion and tranquility (Cining gong)
The Palace of Compassion and Tranquility is located in the western annexes of the inner courtyard. Built in 1536 in the western part of the Forbidden City, it was the palace residence of Empress Dowager Jiang, built for her special attention on the order of Emperor Jiajing (1522-1566). In 1769 (the 34th year of Qianlong reign), the main hall of this palace was rebuilt with multiple roofs, and the back ward was moved north, in a layout that we can still see nowadays. The courtyard, bounded by the covered corridors of East and West, which connect the Gate of Compassion and Tranquility (to the South) and the houses of the back hall (to the North), form an independent architectural complex. The main lobby, with front and back porches, a gable and hip roof with double eaves and yellow ceramic tile, is seven bays wide for five deep.
In front of the main hall is a terrace where the main ceremonies of the sweetness of the Empress took place, especially the anniversaries of the Empress Dowager. The back room was the place where the Empress Dowager worshiped Buddha, she was provided with all kinds of Buddha statues and ritual instruments. So it was also called the "big room of the Buddha".
Back to the list of the pavilions of the forbidden city