Palace of universal happiness (Xianfu gong)
Located in the Western Palace District, the Palace of Universal Happiness was originally named Peace Longevity Palace. It took this name during the reign of Jiajing (1522-1566) during the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644). This palace has a similar shape with the Palace of the Great Brilliance, with glazed tiles. It is a little more than the other 5 palaces of this area because in addition to serving as housing for the empress and concubines, the emperor could sometimes live here too. Emperor Jiaqing (1796-1820) observed the mourning of Emperor Qianlong (1736-1795) in this palace, as did Xianfeng (1851-1861) for Daoguang (1821-1850).
This palace is part of six Western palaces, in the inner courtyard.
Back to the list of the pavilions of the forbidden city