Pavilion of literary glory (Wenhua dian)
Pavilion of literary glory
The Pavilion of Literary Fame is the main building of the architectural ensemble to the east of the Supreme Harmony Hall. It has been converted into a gallery presenting ceramics, obviously mainly Chinese ceramics. It was the residence of the heir during the first period of the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644). This pavilion has green glazed tiles covering the roof whereas on the other buildings, they are rather yellow, of the color of the emperor. From 1536 it was reserved for the emperor to make it an annex room. It is from this time that the tiles have been changed to yellow.
During the Ming and Qing dynasties the imperial conferences were regularly held in this hall. The important mandarins felt very honored to receive the title of secretary of the Hall of Literary Glory.
Back to the list of the pavilions of the forbidden city