Built by Edward III (1327-1377), the Cradle Tower was made as a new private river port to directly connect the king's dwellings that were in and around the Lanthorn Tower. It is therefore located along the shore.
Specifically the Cradle Tower is on the outer wall of the Tower of London, South side, east of the Henry III Gate. It is much larger than it seems, it is a rectangular block pierced, on the ground floor, a passage crossing the rampart and on the floor with beautiful apartments. There are two protective chambers. You can still see today the groove that once housed a drawbridge and a beautiful stone vault.
In 1599 two prisoners escaped from this tower, at the time when it was used as a prison. The prisoners were Father John Gerard and John Arden. In the depths of the night, when everything was black, they swayed along a rope stretched out of the Tower to a boat that was stationed on the river, above the ditches.
The arch of Queen Elizabeth II is in front of the Cradle Tower, leading to the inner courtyard.
The map of the tower of London with the list of the buildings